Monday, April 1, 2013

Cheese and wine...finally

I've been attempting to sample some of France's infamous cheese and wine. While I've had some here and there (and it lives up to its reputation), I wasn't able to get to an actual wine bar. I specifically wanted to try some wine AND cheese.
Le Garde Robe on rue de l'arbre sec in Paris was recommended to me by a friend of a friend who lives in Paris.
I attempted to go there Saturday night, but got the incorrect metro stop and directions from my map app (thank you, technology!), so my attempt was thwarted.
It was closed Sunday, so I had accepted I wouldn't make it. Then, I found it while walking around this afternoon. It was t quite open then so I went back to my hotel to get there at the "right" time, after 9 pm.
The small wine bar, which also specializes in cheese and meats, is a small room with a brick wall in one side with shelves or wine opposite it. The wood-floored room seats about 20.
The first thing I was asked was "red or white?"
"Red," I said.
"Light or heavy?"
Hmmm....decisions.
"Light," I said, expecting a rose. Instead I got something more like a Zinfandel, but with a taste I've never had before. She promptly went behind the bar and brought back a wine. She poured me a small taste for me to try. I got to say yes or no to it and she the poured me a full glass with a "yes" answer (or oui).
Next, I got to order my food. I wanted to try both the meat and cheese, but didn't want full orders of each. I asked if I coil have a small board of each. She said no, but then said she could give me a one-half board of each. I'm not sure that I got a half order, but it's good none the less and I do not know when I'll be in Paris.
Though I'm the only single party here, all the rest are couples, I'm enjoying the atmosphere. And the food. And the wine.
And eventually I'll have dessert. My sever/bartender did last call for the kitchen and was quick to say that dessert would still be available.
A man just walked in selling roses. I'm only used to seeing young woman selling the roses on a night out. Oh how different Paris is.
All the cheeses were relatively not stinky, but I like the stinky cheese!!!
I now am a very satiated Heather now that I've experienced a Paris wine bar.




No comments:

Post a Comment