Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Metz Cathedral

When I decided to venture to Metz, Frnace, it was because of a recommedation from my friend, Stephaie. I had other great recommedations, but I was drawn to Metz for some reason. Maybe because the others sounded German and I still wanted to a French experiece. It was more of a mental thing than anything specific.
I arrived in Metz yesterday via train from Paris. I didn't know what to expect or even where I would stay. I just went. This morning I ventured out to explored the small city. One place I wanted to see was the cathedral. I could see the top of the spires from throughout the city. What I didn't know until I got up close and personal is that it looks very much like Notre-Dame de Paris. Very much like it.
I looked around for a line to get in. There was none, but I saw people coming and going, so in I went. The inside also very much resembled Notre-Dame. The biggest difference? The number of people. There were maybe 50 people total inside the cathedral while I was there. The line to get into Notre-Dame was way longer than that. While there wasn't a lot of noise in Notre-Dame, there still has a dull hum because of the shear number of people there.
I recommend Metz as a definite visit if you ever go to France. You can see some of the same kinds of sights (a cathedral like Notre-Dame; the Centre Pompidou, etc.), but get a much more French town. Now, most of the people don't speak much English, or don't cop to it, so you'll have to know a little French at least.





















No comments:

Post a Comment