Monday, March 25, 2013

Another world...mostly

Walking down Oxford Street, I was not surprised to see the Gap, Footlocker, Starbucks, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut and other America shops. Like in the US, nearly everyone has a smartphone in hand - nearly always an IPhone.
What's different - at least for living in a more rural area - are all the different people speaking different languages. I've heard more language than I have English - though half the time I can't understand some of the thing accents even from native English speakers.
I've already found myself using some different words :
Instead of:
mail use post
Excuse me, sorry
Bathroom, loo or toilet
Takeout, takeaway
Subway, Tube or underground
Trash, rubbish
Trash ca, rubbish bin
Elevator, lift
Apartment, flat
Watch your step, mind the gap
Rent, hire or let
Truck, lorie
Cart, trolley
Trip, journey

And so many more.

Another important discovery, if you ask for a tea, you'll be prompted for more info - what kind of tea for you want? Cream and sugar?

If you ask for a coffee, you'll the same question, because with the exception of Starbucks and the cafe by the London Eye, no one has "filter" coffee (which we know as brewed) or pour over or French pressed (maybe a French place will have that, but I'm waiting to go into French places until I get to France)






No comments:

Post a Comment