Sunday, March 24, 2013

I've arrived in London

Getting to our London host's wasn't as easy as I expected. I had the directions in my phone, and carefully followed them. I cursed myself (inside my head, of course, to not appear crazy) for not doing the street view BEFORE I left the United States.
Wearing my 50-plus backpack (maybe that will keep me from buying too much-but probably not), I trekked down Stockwell Road toward Nathan's flat. I was looking for what I thought was a street (Court was the second word). The directions said to walk six minutes and it's be on the right. I figured I was much slower than six minutes with the backpack and not sleeping on the plane (oh how tried-and failed). After about 13 minutes I was still walking. I just knew I had passed my turn. So I finally found a place to stop and ask for help. It was a tiny neighborhood shop. The man there was a foreigner evident by his English skills. After showing him the address on the phone (appears I was saying it incorrectly, of course), he directed me to barbershop next door. I was expecting what you'd see in Atascadero (terrible comparison: Atascadero to London, not even close).
I walked into the barbershop. There were about a dozen or so black men (nice on the eyes, of course). Everyone stopped to start at the white girl-lost and American wearing a huge backpack and frizzy hair from walking in the drizzle). They were somewhat helpful, but the first question was "why don't you GPS it on the iPhone you're holding." "It doesn't work" (because it's $20 per MB, unsaid of course).
With a tiny bit of a direction (now I knew to look for Stockwell Green), I headed off back toward the Tube station. Not far of a walk, I saw Stockwell Green and then the name of the apartment building (not a tiny court).
I MADE IT!!!!!!

Please note that I am writing these all on the fly on my phone. When I can, I will edit on my computer. I want to be sure to write these whenever I can or I will get for behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment