Friday, March 29, 2013

Stories

The beat part of traveling-even life-are the stories you accumulate due to mishaps or just because. I find that the best things come unexpectedly.
Tyler and I planned to take the ferry from Dover, England, to Dunkirk, France, because it is closer to the best beer in the world. Tyler reserved a rental car for us in Dunkirk (car is the easiest and possibly only way to get I the monastery-short of hitchhiking or paying a random person to drive us, which I would be willing to do for the best beer on the world in a pinch), but we couldn't get tickets to Dunkirk, only Calais, France, because you had to have at least a bike to get on that ferry.
Now that's just lovely.
I'm not worried, one way or another we'll either get a car in Calais or take a bus/train to Dunkirk. We'll get to see a bit more of France either way.
Of course, my best stories are likely yet to come as we're leaving an English-speaking country for French and Flemmish.
I've been learning via Rosetta Stone an I have a phrase book to read on the journey over. I'm practicing what I'd need to say to certain people I may see when we arrive. Will make every effort in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment